Tuesday 8 January 2008

It's always good to talk!

Last Friday night, I was fortunate enough to have been asked by my good friend Vicky Ford to stand in for her as the speaker at Wickford & Rayleigh Conservative Association Supper Club.

Vicky was unfortunately unavailable due to other commitments, and I was delighted to be able to help out.

I was especially pleased, as Wickford & Rayleigh is one of South Basildon & East Thurrocks neighbouring constituencies and I hope to work closely with them once I am elected as a Member of Parliament.

The supper club was very well attended for a wet evening in early January and I was pleased to be able to speak to nearly 60 people.

During the evening we talked about the election that never was, the hopes and fears of the people of Britain and the likelihood of an election in the near future.

We also talked about what a successful year 2007 had been for the Conservative and how 2008 look set to be even better.

One issue of particular concern was the way in which the Government has failed to live up to its manifesto promise to hold a referendum on the new EU Treaty and how the Government and Mr Brown had betrayed the British people.

Despite the serious nature of the discussion, it was a very enjoyable evening and I look forward to addressing the club again once I am elected.

No comments: